EXPECTATION

Return to Nigerians Engaging Nigerians

Forum rules
Here is the forum for real dialogue about our culture, our social structure. Our culture affects every part of our social, economic, and political life. It affect how we interact socially with each other which transcends to how we honor rules of trade in our production of goods and services and it's exchange, and it is a factor in our electoral process and our elected official's decision making process. Values differ from one nuclear family to another it is not universal. It is imperative that we inform and educate each other of acceptable and evolved values. Examples; The importance of the individual in society, importance of participation in the electoral process, what and how to eat healthy, responsibility and respect of self and the community, nuclear family financial management, patriotism, means to improve family communication, reasons for respecting the rule of law and trade, importance of a maintenance culture, and conversation on the use of individuals political and or financial power. It is equally important to discuss the necessary social restructure needed for our economic and political growth. These topics are just examples everyone is welcome to introduce their topics on this interactive forum. Please bring us all your knowledge, experience, and ideas that will strengthen our culture and restructure the social system.

EXPECTATION

Postby nigerian_admin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:45 am

Expectation
A few years ago, after many hours and days of frustration developing this forum, I asked my family during dinner at the kitchen table this simple question. What makes a country rich or poor? My eighteen year old daughter responded, ‘Dad it is the expectation of the people within the country’. I asked her for an explanation. My wife interjected, ‘a country is what the majority of the people of that country want it to be’. I was going to ask more questions but I could see they were concerned that I could not understand this simple reasoning. I went to bed thinking of this new concept that I am totally oblivious to. I will like to share with all of you how I understand she is right.
If you look around you in our country you will find that everything that is applied in developed countries that works is implemented exactly opposite in our country almost as if the leaders of the country want it to fail. Majority of us do the exact opposite of what most of the people in advanced nations do as if we have all given up on our country. Is this our expectation?
The Webster dictionary defines expectation as,
a looking forward to; anticipation
a looking for as due, proper, or necessary
a thing looked forward to
a reason or warrant for looking forward to something; prospect for the future, as of advancement or prosperity
the probability of the occurrence, duration, etc. of something, esp. as indicated by statistics

How could a country like Nigeria with all the skilled human, natural, and mineral resources fail to provide the following?
The means necessary for the citizen to produce: We humans are producers this is the only way we can feed, and shelter our family. This very important means to attaining this need, water and electricity and good roads is not readily available in our country even if we have to halt every other program to attain it. We must wonder what kind of leaders we’ve had all these years, do they want to keep us poor and live in hell or are they simply inept? What is their expectation of the country and the citizens?
Protection of our lives, property and rules of law: Our law enforcement agency has become a joke. They are blatantly corrupt, engage in kidnapping the citizen for ransom, killing the people with the least regard for the rule of law and protecting the lawless citizens the worst amongst us. What is their expectation for the country and all our children?
Failed leadership: Every day we witnessed unimaginable corruption and theft without any regard for the rule of law. We all wonder if the bottom has finally fallen out and our country is heading towards total chaos. With a feeling as this what is our expectation of ourselves and country?
Individual irresponsibility: Each citizen feels alone. No rule of law, no protection, no collective provision, no defined direction. This is a recipe for total chaos. Is thiswhy we have become so corrupt, become non-conforming to the rule of law, and socially irresponsible. What is the expectation we have of our community, ourselves, and our country?
Lack of assurance of livelihood: There is no organized support in the continuation of our daily lives which continues to impact our family lives, the future of our dependants, erodes our individual and collective wealth and creates insecurity and burden to our lives. It has become a major factor in the feeling of being alone and it creates corruption and theft. Life insurance, property insurance, disability insurance, health insurance, unemployment insurance, old age insurance (pension) and other assurances is a necessity for our society. The public is not informed of its importance and it is often unaffordable. Do we want chaos or what exactly is our expectation of our society and of each of us?
Repetition of irrational behaviour: We keep electing people who gave us money for votes. We voted for the same party that looted our resources. The educated had given up voting and the least educated now choose our leaders. We keep doing the same thing expecting different result. I ask you what is your expectation, what do you expect from your leaders and what do you expect of and for your society and yourself. Your answer is what our country will be.
The following is a response to the President by the governor of Jigawa.
POVERTY reason why Nigeria cannot brake – Gov. Lamido blasts Jonathan, ruling class
Jigawa-state-Governor-Alhaji-Sule-Lamido-
Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa state reacting to comment recently credited to President Goodluck Jonathan that despite the crisis rocking the nation, Nigeria cannot brake. Lamido agreed with President Jonathan that Nigeria cannot break, siting deliberate poverty inflicted by the ruling class on the ordinary Nigerians the reason why the country cannot brake; he said: “It is too weak to break. Who will break it, the ordinary person in Jigawa, or the ordinary person in Sokoto, or the ordinary person in Bayelsa?
“Is it the Ibo vulcaniser or the Yoruba woman that is selling kerosene by the roadside or the Okada man in Delta?
“They don’t have the capacity to unite because they are burdened by poverty. We have taken away from them their dignity, their self- esteem, their pride and self- worth so that they cannot even organise.
“Up there, we (elite) unite, we sing and so we will never allow Nigeria to break because once it breaks, we will lose.
“But the common man loses nothing. What is he losing? He is already living in hell; he cannot lose anything more than this hell.”
This is quite a concept. If some of these leaders actually believe that their counterparts think this way, where is this country going? Is this the leadership expectation of the country?
It is up to all of us to start educating our selves on ways to raise our expectation. It is a fact that majority of us will assume the same corrupt practices if they attain a government position that is why the populace are not angry enough to stop it. After all these corruption has been going on for years and there have been different leaders over the years. These corrupt people are part of us. We the people teach each other and our children the corruption and we practice it every day at our places of employment and our daily lives. Somehow we expect it to stop when we get to a certain position.
The Governor from Gigawa is right individuals have been so consumed with their own personal lives they played no part in the affairs of managing their country. Each individual is consumed with bribery, dishonesty, and scams with the excuse for their low wages. While you are all busy hurting your selves with the nickel and dimes the big boys are whacking you in billions. It is you that has to stop this corruption first. If you did the next generation will be better and the leadership that comes from them will be mature. If you stop you will then expect better of your leaders. The pain that you will find yourselves when you stop will create the urgency for change because you will cry louder for it.
We all have to contribute to this process of eliminating corruption. The structures needed for checks and balances, ways to inform all about the political system, process, and elections, the role of the individual in the society and the political process, and most importantly the ways to express discontent with the politicians without creating chaos.
This is your forum let us start communicating. It is a long journey but, when we are sure that we are on the right road there is no need to plan our journey too far ahead. No need to burden ourselves with doubts and fears as to the obstacles that may bar our progress. We cannot take more than one step at a time..... Orison Marden
nigerian_admin
Site Admin

Return to Nigerians Engaging Nigerians